• Announcements

• TC is OPEN   10/27/15

Tarnished Coast is currently at VERY HIGH population and is OPEN for transfers.
    • Reset is at 9pm EST!   11/11/16

Reset is now 1 hour earlier due to daylight savings @ 9pm EST / 8pm CST / 6pm PST!

Black Desert Online

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I just wanted to post this here so I can reference it in a month or two when everyone has quit that game.

BDO is mostly a Korean grind MMO that has no hard level cap. After a soft cap (50, I think) you continue to gain XP and levels but at an extremely reduced rate meaning that more time investment = more power. Additionally, BDO has a Korean-style +1 gear upgrade system. If you've played Lineage2 or Aion then you're familiar with this. You can add +1 to your armor and weapons but as you get higher (+15 and above) the chance of failure becomes higher and higher and each time you fail the upgrade it resets the +1 back to a certain number. Meaning, if you are lucky enough (or rich enough to just buy an armor that someone else has already put +15 on) then you will have a substantial advantage over someone else in PvP. One-shotting will become a real thing in the game as time goes on. All of the GW2 players that are playing this game are hyped because it's being advertised as this really pretty pvp sandbox game and because GW2 WvW is pretty dead right now. In reality, BDO is a game that's based solely on time investment with a clunky and limited siege system (castle sieges are scheduled events that only last for a certain amount of time, not 24/7 like WvW in GW2).

GW2 essentially has a standardized gear system in that exotic gear is really easy to obtain and ascended gear is fairly easy to gain (with a moderate time investment). Once you've obtained these things (exotic or ascended) you're effectively as good as anyone else running the same gear/build and what determines the outcome of fights is your skill or whether or not your build works against the other player (condi vs. power, etc.). BDO is all about never-ending character progression and power creep while GW2 character progression basically ends at full ascended gear. I don't think many GW2 players are going to be sticking around in BDO after a month or so when the newness wears off and people start to realize that players who can grind for 18 hours a day will begin to have unbeatable advantages over the players that login for a few hours a night to rally with their guild.

7 people slapped this yak

Posted

I hadn't looked into BDO much at all ... but I did play Aion for three years.  Failing armor enchantments and losing all the manastones in your armor piece because you failed socketing one (but don't worry, there's an item in the cash shop that will guarantee success!) ... NEVER AGAIN.

4 people slapped this yak

Posted

My first MMO really was Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes. I got myself to max level, farmed mats for best armor and weapons. Then they raised the level cap and I quit.  Fuck that RNG upgrade bullshit. (Though all in all I did enjoy my time.  Hammer/Counterattack Fiona for dayz, boiz).

Although BDO's combo system is pretty sweet.  I really liked the flow. 

Posted

People give GW2 a lot of shit for lack of updates, lack of end game content, etc. But you have to admit that Anet did a lot of things right through their approach to level caps and gear. There's a good amount of features that I've only come to appreciate after comparing it to other MMOs. Probably why GW2 continues to carry on after 3.5 years while plenty of other MMOs have launched and flopped in the mean time.

5 people slapped this yak

Posted

People give GW2 a lot of shit for lack of updates, lack of end game content, etc. But you have to admit that Anet did a lot of things right through their approach to level caps and gear. There's a good amount of features that I've only come to appreciate after comparing it to other MMOs. Probably why GW2 continues to carry on after 3.5 years while plenty of other MMOs have launched and flopped in the mean time.

Its never been about concept and design.  Out the gate, hell yeah they had some REALLY great ideas for an MMO!  And for that first 2 years, it was fairly awesome.  The problem comes in when the deployment phase ends, and maintenance phase beings.  They don't maintain anything, unless it affects their economy, right away.  They do this to keep gem to gold conversions as high as possible, so they make money.  Otherwise, piss poor decisions, along with lack of support, and its really a 'get what ya pay for' type game.  Its great for the $50, but when you are a true MMO gamer, you are prepared to invest time and money, because it is an ongoing experience, no matter what game mode you prefer.

F2P games like BDO and GW2 (Yes, its fucking F2p, despite what bullshit ANet tries to say it is), have a surge of new F2P players, and after a few years, you're left with hardcore fans, people who like to gamble, and those that enjoy the cheap entertainment.  The time investment is always there, and it grows and grows if you don't invest money.

So this brings us to "value".  I can't tell you if GW2 is a value to you, because i don't know what your economic situation is, nor do i care.  What i do know, is that for me, i got my F2P, or B2P (at the time) fun out of it, and then realized that i wasn't prepared to 'fund' ANet because their maintenance policies and timing just sucked balls. 

To me, GW2 is like GM/Ford/Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge selling an amazing, low priced sports car and then the fuckin thing fallin apart on you after 2000 miles.  And of course, repairs are absolutely astronomical. 

The economy in GW2 can never change, and if i know ANet, they'll find some way to monetize WvW in some way, since its not the eSport sPvP they have such a raging boner for.  Probably like power packs or something, to give certain people or zergs a 'fuzzy' advantage, as to pay for the time they need to put in to fix the game mode.

1 person slapped this yak

Posted

In reality, BDO is a game that's based solely on time investment with a clunky and limited siege system (castle sieges are scheduled events that only last for a certain amount of time, not 24/7 like WvW in GW2).

BDO lost me at scheduled. T____T

Posted

There is no RvR like gw2 has, no. But PvP and GvGs are the high lights in terms of end game content.

Posted

I'll probably play it off-and-on, simply for the Tamer aspect. That's literally the only thing that actually caught my interest. I can tame horses? Sweet.

Probably won't ever hit level-cap in it, but I'll definitely tame a horse or two. Not sure how many you can tame. Tame and keep.

GW2 still has 90% of my attention. Even with the time gaps between content releases, it still manages to keep me hooked in.

Posted

I'm just watching it for now.  It looks like a a very pretty game and might be worth a look after it launches and things settle down a bit. 

GW2...I don't enjoy HoT and WvW is just no longer fun.   I really miss the Alpine maps :(  But, I'm still hanging around hoping against hope that ANet's new WvW makeover will make things better.  But in the back of my mind is this niggling thought that it will probably suck more than the desert BL. If thats even possible.

I'm playing Everquest 2 again..but really only dabbling.  Heal for some heroic & contested dungeon groups on weekends, but not much else.

Hoping that Camelot Unchained will refire my MMO /PvP fervor.  

Posted

I was going to play this because I got a new computer and would have been able to run it without issue, but then I realized it has gender AND racially locked classes. So if I want to play as a male character my choice is a warrior, a different kind of warrior that's racial locked, or a wizard - but the wizard character models are locked into looking like they're in their mid seventies. What a joke. There's a ninja class that has a male and female version that looks pretty cool, but it's only available in the Korean version right now, with no word on when or if it will appear in the Western version.

Gender locking is fine if you have comparable classes for each gender, but this doesn't. Want to play as a male Ranger? Too bad, female only. Want to play as a male healer? Too bad, female only. From what I've been reading this seems to be a major point of contention with the NA/EU base they're trying to cater too, so they may be forced to address this if they want to bring in more players.

I'll wait a while and see if it gets any better, but for now I'm staying clear of this one.

Posted

just wanted to bump this to say "told you so". that's all.

2 people slapped this yak

Posted

just wanted to bump this to say "told you so". that's all.

you were right. :)

Posted

Anyone still play BDO? :o 

Posted

Few of the eN guys do (Chroho, throat, behbz)

I have been tempted to reinstall, but fuck the grind........

Posted

Anyone still play BDO? :o 

No...come back to GW2 ...kin is killing me

2 people slapped this yak

Posted

Im still playing.  The grind isn't bad with all the xp shit they are throwing at us not to mention free gear events all the time at the moment. 

I see Jadon and his guild around a lot. Just wanted to know who else is still there xD

@Flo I come visit once a week! No one was on last night so I went and played battlefield instead :P

Posted

Im still playing.  The grind isn't bad with all the xp shit they are throwing at us not to mention free gear events all the time at the moment. 

I see Jadon and his guild around a lot. Just wanted to know who else is still there xD

@Flo I come visit once a week! No one was on last night so I went and played battlefield instead :P

once a week isnt enough..